Man who crossed DMZ was previous defector from N.Korea, South says

0
171

By Josh Smith

SEOUL (Reuters) -A man observed crossing the heavily fortified border from South Korea into North Korea last week is believed to be a North Korean who previously defected to the South in 2020 in the same area, Seoul’s defence ministry said on Monday.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) had said it carried out a search operation after detecting the person on Saturday https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/south-korean-crosses-armed-border-rare-defection-north-2022-01-02 on the eastern side of the Demilitarised Zone (DMZ) separating the two Koreas.

“The authorities presume the person is a North Korean defector and are in the process of verifying related facts,” the Ministry of National Defence said in a statement on Monday.

A ministry official later told reporters they believe the man, who is his 30s, came to the South in November 2020.

“Footage showed he had a…

Read more…

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here