By Katelyn Polantz, CNN Reporter, Crime and Justice
Former Defense Secretary Mark Esper has gotten the Pentagon’s sign-off on his memoir of his time working under President Donald Trump and will drop a lawsuit against the department for not clearing his book manuscript for publication, his attorney said Friday.
The former Pentagon chief will now have his book published in May with “minimal redactions,” his attorney Mark Zaid said.
Esper had sued the department he had led last year after its prepublication book reviewers wanted redactions made to national security topics in the manuscript.
Esper had said those sections included his recollections of Trump and thoughts on foreign countries, and he argued in his lawsuit that he didn’t believe the Pentagon’s proposed redactions were classified information.
Esper was Trump’s second Senate-confirmed defense…